Oath of office ceremony information for #RVAMayor #RVACouncil and #RPSBoard
compiled by Jessee Perry
We were sitting around one day wondering what questions the mayoral candidates have not had to answer and what we do not know about the them. Going into election day, I think we may have finally hit the bottom of the barrel. RVA Dirt presents... Richmond Mayoral Candidate's Zodiac Profiles!
(P.S.- If anyone knows Lawrence William's birthday let me know and I will add his information)
Michelle Mosby- Born August 30th- Virgo
- Famous People Born August 30th: Cameron Diaz, Warren Buffet, Lewis Black, Andy Roddick
- Key Life Phrase: I serve
- Zodiac Totem: The Virgin
- Zodiac Element: Earth
- Compatible Star Signs: Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces
- Mismatched Star Signs: Aries, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Libra
- Key Characteristics: Loving, susceptible, sympathetic, sensual, faithful, instinctive, charitable, over-reactive, and moody. A Virgo woman is faithful, truthful, sensible, picky, and edgy.
- Virgos are analytical perfectionists.
- Virgos are extremely critical of themselves and hold themselves to a higher standard.
- Virgos are highly sought after teammates because of their insights and wide-spread general knowledge.
- Virgos are well-read and pay attention to the details but may come off as shy.
Joe Morrissey- Born September 23rd- Libra
- Famous People Born September 23rd: Ray Charles, Bruce Springsteen, Jason Alexander, Jermaine Dupri
- Key Life Phrase: I balance
- Zodiac Totem: The Scales
- Zodiac Element: Air
- Compatible Star Signs: Gemini, Aquarius, Leo and Sagittarius
- Mismatched Star Signs: Aries, Capricorn, Cancer and Taurus
- Key Characteristics: Refined, social, artistic, vacillating, intellectual, communicative, and concerned with relationships. A Libra man is intellectual, playboy, prudent, and a conversationalist.
- Libras are creative thinkers with above average intellect.
- Libras are able to be fair minded and give unbiased judgment of all sides of a problem. Sometimes this makes it difficult to commit to one side of the argument.
- Libras are social, love communicating with others and are rarely at a loss for words.
- Libran male is the epitome of charm and they inspire awe wherever they go.
Levar Stoney- Born March 20th- Pisces (Aries cusp)
- Famous People Born March 20th- B.F. Skinner, Spike Lee, Ruby Rose
- Key Life Phrase: I sacrifice
- Zodiac Totem: Fish
- Zodiac Element: Water
- Compatible Star Signs: Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, and Pisces
- Mismatched Signs: Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Libra and Aquarius
- Key Characteristics: Loving, sensitive, intuitive, spiritual, idealistic, victimized, and moody. A Pisces man is pioneering, progressive, determined, blinkered, impractical and discerning.
- Pisces are deep and spiritual. Believed to be the most spiritually advanced of the signs.
- Pisces motivation in live is to give, serve and love. They offer help to anyone who is suffering and give their time and energy selflessly to anyone who needs it.
- Pisces is an emotional sign who gives a lot but also needs to be nurtured in return.
- Pisces-Aries cusp- March 20th is the end of the Pisces range so Levar is on the cusp of being an Aries.
- Pisces-Aries cuspt are bolder and draw in fiery energies of the Aries sign.
- Typical Pisces will be indecisive; however, on the cusp of Aries makes them more decisive and aggressive.
- Pisces-Aries cusp are creative and enterprising but are balanced to be spiritual and emotional.
Jack Berry - Born April 9th - Aries
- Famous People Born April 9th: Cynthia Nixon, Hugh Hefner, Marc Jacobs, Jesse McCartney
- Key Life Phrase: I am
- Zodiac Totem: Ram
- Zodiac Element: Fire
- Compatible Star Signs: Leo, Taurus, Sagittarius, and Gemini
- Mismatched Signs: Cancer, Virgo, Libra, Capricorn
- Key Characteristics: Determined, fiery, executive skills, born leader, impulsive, headstrong, opinionated, loyal, physical, driven, ambitious. An Aries man is resolute, physically vital, egotistical, leadership prowess, intimidating competitor.
- Aries are full of spirit and high energy levels.
- Aries are creative with high self-confidence and power making them extremely opinionated.
- Aries hate boredom and want life to be exciting. They are also courageous and never step down.
- Aries are reactive, impatient, and have big egos but they never shy away from teamwork.
If you are an undecided voter or know an undecided voter, please consider joining the Vote Together Facebook group. The original intent is to agree on a candidate together to vote as a collective. However, it is also a good resource for information about each candidate. Many group members regularly share articles and opinions.
Analysis of four polls and a deep dive into projections. Researched and written by Jessee Perry.
There are way too many candidates and way too many places to look for information. Here are links to some of the places the candidates have answered questions.
Past headlines from all seven mayoral candidates - Compiled and posted by Jessee Perry
#RVAMayor Drinking Game
UPDATED BELOW at 3:30 PM
This past Friday I spoke with Farid Alan Schintzius, a candidate for mayor whose petition to get on the ballot was rejected when the registrar's office disqualified a handful of signatures from the 8th district. "Well, those signatures must have been invalid!" you say. Not so fast, says Schintzius. “These voters were disqualified simply because they moved. They are on the lower end of the income scale. They are renters and some move frequently.” The people whose signatures were disqualified were “shocked and disturbed that they were denied their right to support a candidate despite the fact that they have been registered to vote and have voted in those districts for decades.”
Schintzius explains, “They [the registrar's office] regularly and systematically disqualify valid registered voters from being part of the petition process because their residence address, which is what is asked for on the petition, does not match the voter registration records as the address that they are registered at. If they were going to their polling place to vote, they would be able to vote. There is no reason why they cannot create a process that validates those registered voters despite the fact that they have a new address. “ He states that this is the basis for his lawsuit. Last week, his case was shifted to Federal Court. That hearing, set for this morning at 9:00 a.m., for an injunction, “a restraining order if you will,” is to prevent the State Board of Elections from printing the ballots and election materials until the lawsuit to restore him to the ballot has been heard. Shintzius is concerned about getting on the ballot and representing the people of Richmond, but his highest priority is changing the way the system works and making sure that all registered voters are able to participate on a fair and equitable basis.
“The system is set up to defend the ballot against candidates who won't do the work in the manner the registrar decides is appropriate to determine if the signatures are valid or not.” If the signatures get disqualified, they give the candidates too narrow of a window to fix it, and the evidence they require the candidates to provide to investigate, “they have right there at the registrar's office! They just don't want to do the work to look it up!”
If he and his co-plaintiffs (some of the owners of the disqualified signatures) win their lawsuit, the State Board of Elections will be required to make some changes. A suggestion is to update their petition procedures to include clarifications as simple as a box to check whether you reside at the address where you are registered to vote, and if not, enter your registration address. "Not sure how it will all get straightened out, but if we win they will be forced to straighten it out [the manner in which petition signatures have been verified in the past], across the state," Schintzius tells me.
Win or lose, Alan Schintzius won't stop until, “[I] ensure every registered voter that signs a petition will have their signatures recognized.”
And for those who have been wondering about that #RichmondFamous lawyer-turned-mayoral candidate representing Mr. Schintzius...
"Joe Morrissey has spent more time talking to reporters than he has spent on the lawsuit." Paul Goldman has put over 300 hours of work into the case. According to Mr. Schintzius, Morrissey is just signing papers and pulling in publicity, but since Goldman is licensed to practice in NJ instead of Virginia, the lawsuit is under the auspices of the firm. “Joe Morrissey is not representing the voters who are co-plaintiffs in the lawsuit." Morrissey is barred from practicing in federal court so Mr. Schintzius had to retain attorney the services of Mark Paullin. Paullin is a local lawyer licensed to practice in federal court, hired to work with Paul Goldman to facilitate Goldman's one time admittance to work on the this case in Federal Court.
UPDATE: I just spoke with Mr. Schintzius after losing his bid for injunction this morning. Judge John Gibney found that the evidence wasn't there for the injunction, but is still moving forward rather quickly with the trial, set for Thursday morning at 9:00 a.m. The Judge welcomed Paul Goldman to the Court after Mr. Paullin's efforts to get him admitted were successful. Judge Gibney admonished both sides that this case is not over and cautioned the city about moving forward with election materials too quickly.
Mayoral Quick Info Sheet -by Jessee Perry