There is a lengthy consent agenda with a wide range of topics. Finally the Maggie Walker Community Land Trust is set to be designated as a land bank and there are a few properties set to be bought and sold to reduce blight. Also it looks like Pies & Pints and Max's on Broad will be encroaching on public right-of-ways in the near future in favor of some outdoor seating. And of course there are a handful of budget legislation items.
The regular agenda has SIX items.... that sounds like a lot but all six are about the longstanding Lewis G. Larus Park issue. Long story short: purchase a piece of land, add it to the park, put the park under conservation laws, then allow Chesterfield to use another portion of the park for their water project.
Outside of the agenda, I would anticipate some fireworks as the RRHA Heat Crisis continues. Most recently it was announced that baseboard heat will be installed in Creighton Court by the end of February at a cost of $150K. Then RTD published an article indicating that the RRHA now acknowledges that they were aware of the issue two months prior to acting on it. This article includes T.K Somanath saying," Taxpayers' good money should not be wasted - put into a sinkhole. It's not worth the investment." Advocates have started to sign up to speak during Citizen Comment and 9th District Councilman Michael Jones posted on Facebook that "Monday can not come fast enough."
- Arthur Burton speaking on RRHA Heat Crisis and Council's Accountability to the Residents
- Omar Al-Qadaffi speaking on RRHA Heat Crisis and Council's Accountability to the Residents
***THERE IS STILL TIME TO SIGN UP IF YOU WISH TO SPEAK ABOUT THE RRHA HEAT CRISIS. DEADLINE IS 12PM MONDAY. DETAILS IN PICTURES BELOW.***
- ORD 2017-196: Designate The Maggie Walker Community Land Trust as a land bank.
- ORD 2017-249: Acquire 1319 N. 27th St at tax delinquent judicial sale and sell to the Better Housing Coalition for $3,565
- ORD 2017-250: Acquire 2301 Venable St. at tax delinquent judicial sale and sell to The Maggie Walker Community Land Trust for $2,055.00
- ORD 2017-251: Acquire 418 North 23rd St at tax delinquent judicial sale and sell to The Maggie Walker Community Land Trust for $2,556.00
- ORD 2017-252: Authorize Pies and Pints at 2035 W Broad St to encroach on public right-of-way for an outdoor dining area
- ORD 2018-001: Accept $20K from VA Dept of Emergency Management for emergency preparedness training for first responders.
- ORD 2018-002: Accept $49,275.00 from VA Dept of Emergency Management for supporting City's emergency preparedness program
- ORD 2018-003: Accept $72,600 from MCV Foundation for the Department of Police Law Enforcement Intervention Focusing on Education (LIFE) Program
- ORD 2018-004: Accept $112,397.00 from VA Dept of Criminal Justice Services for supporting the RichmondACTION Smart Policing Program Development Project
- ORD 2018-005: Create a new special fund for the Sheriff and Jail called the Out of Compliance State Inmate Reimbursements special fund and increasing estimated revenues by $750K for the purpose of providing for the reimbursement of medical services providers for certain inmate medical care
- ORD 2018-006: Authorize Max's on Broad at 305 Brook Rd to encroach upon the public right-of-way with an outdoor dining area
- ORD 2018-007: Designate 900 block of North 1st Street in honor of Dr. Benjamin Joseph Lambert III
- ORD 2018-008: Execute a Permit Fees Grant Agreement with Owens & Minor Medical and EDA for Owens & Minor to improve, equip, and operate a new centralized facility for its distribution center administrative operations
- ORD 2018-009: Execute Lease Amendment No. 1 to a US Government Lease for Real Property for the purpose of setting forth the notice of termination requirement for leasing 45 parking spaces within a City-owned parking facility located at 501 North 7th Street
- RES 2018-R002: Initiate changes to the city code to require electric utility distribution lines to be buried underground instead of suspended on overhead distribution tap lines
- ORD 2017-208: Accept $91,136 from Chesterfield County, increase anticipated revenues in the form of utility payments in lieu of taxes from Water Utility by $328,864 and the amount appropriated to the Parks Admin program by $420K to acquire the property known as 8778 Rear West Huguenot Road for the public purpose of the expansion of Lewis G. Larus Park
- ORD 2017-209: Execute a contract with Chesterfield County to sell additional water to Chesterfield and for the construction/operation/maintenance of new water capacity facilities on a portion of Lewis G. Larus Park at 8850 West Huguenot Road
- ORD 2017-221: Authorize the acquisition of 8778 Rear West Huguenot Road for the purpose of expanding Lewis G. Larus Park
- ORD 2017-253: Lease agreement of 8850 West Huguenot Road for construction, operation, and maintenance of a water pump station and ground storage tank
- ORD 2017-254: Grant Chesterfield County 3 temporary construction easements upon, over, under, and across portions of 8850 West Huguenot Road
- RES 2017-R097: Direct the City Attorney to prepare the necessary documents to place Lewis G. Larus Park under the protection of a conservation easement as state law defines that term
- RES 2017-R086: continued to February 26th
- Request CAO to establish and implement a methodology to require that any residential development agreement to which the City is a party or involving City financial incentives to mandate a minimum percentage of new residential development's total units be designated as affordable housing
- RES 2017-R089: continued to February 26, 2018
- Request that Mayor petition VDOT to provide businesses in certain areas affected by BRT construction with financial assistance to compensate for declining customer traffic and sales due to extended construction activities and impediments from the construction of the BRT
- RES 2017-R096: continued to February 26, 2018
- Authorize refunding and restructuring of $8.6M of principal remaining outstanding that was originally borrowed to finance the Leigh Street Development Project/Redskins Training Camp