9.25.17 #RVACouncil Meeting

Mayor in Council.jpeg


Continuances have been updated to reflect an accurate agenda. Two items remain on the regular agenda for discussion (create a fund balance for annual employee bonuses and repeal an ordinance that was going to sell property to Martin Agency). Consent agenda is primarily comprised of budget ordinances with the random condemnation of the US Federal Government budget. I think informal meeting will be a point of interest for some people. 

This is also the meeting where an ordinance regarding the monuments is slated to be introduced. We have confirmed with Councilman Mike Jones that it will be introduced. According to an email from Jones on 9/5, he indicated the legislation will be introduced at the 9/25 meeting as he "wanted to make sure that our legal dept had ample opportunity to review." This means on 9/25, the clerk will "introduce" (aka quickly read) the legislation at the very end of the meeting. There is not public comment or discussion of the legislation; however, Richmond residents are able to sign up in advance to speak at RVA Council for any reason. Residents interested in speaking at citizen comment must contact the Office of the City Clerk no later than 12PM on the date of the meeting



Currently there are 3 speakers signed up for general comment period. 

  • Andrea Woodroffe- Magistrate Condern
  • Lynetta Thompson- removal of monument avenue statues  
  • Marty Jewell- statues of the confederate statues



This informal meeting has two interesting topics. Council will be hearing the recommended 2018 General Assembly Legislative Initiatives presentation and an update on a gang model workshop. 

  • The 2018 General Assembly legislative initiative discussion will go through a list of city positions on different items that will come up in session. Below is a summary list but check out the detailed document linked later. 
    • Admissions Tax
    • Remove authority of Mayor to attend closed sessions of council
    • Codify the Office of Inspector General
    • Authorize Council to set the salary for council members instead of going through a state law change
    • Add electronic participation (e.g. conference calls) to FOIA Electronic Communication law
    • BPOL Refunds for businesses (this came up in May with a business) 
    • Regulation of drones
    • Excessive calls for police services (there was a bill on this in 2017 that was tabled) 
    • Ban backpacks, weapons, signs on sticks, and pets from rallies and public assembly
    • Add sexual orientation as protected class for employment discrimination
    • Affordable housing assistance related to property taxes
    • Funding road maintenance
    • Expand driver education
    • Combat long term school suspensions
    • Increase TANF
    • Expand State Earned Income Tax Credit 
    • Living Wage Requirement (policy stating we are a living wage, not minimum wage, state)
    • Alternative to incarceration for individuals behind in child support
    • Alternatives to incarceration for juveniles who commit crimes or are demonstrating anti-social behavior
    • Medicaid to cover Senior Care and expand to include eyeglasses
    • Increase income limit for tax abatement
    • Child Nutritional Re-authorization Bill
    • Provide reasonable payment terms for fees and fines to avoid drivers license suspension
    • Local Composite Index of Ability to Pay (SCHOOL REVENUE!) 
    • State funding for Affordable Housing Trust Fund
    • Transit Capital Funding
    • Urban Street Maintenance Funding Formula
    • Main Street Station Rail Service
    • Expand health safety net for working poor
    • Food deserts
    • Mental health and substance abuse services
    • Wireless E-911 Fund
    • Ban firearms in government buildings
    • Firearms purchase background checks
    • Military assault-style weapons
    • Wireless Infrastructure 
    • Short-term property rental regulation
    • State historic rehabilitation tax credit
    • Local Taxing Authority
  • The presentation will include a proposed ranking of priorities to focus on in 2018. Here is a summary; however, original document is linked below. 
    • Priority 1: Richmond Specific Issues (charter changes, CSO funding, jail funding, PILOT)
    • Priority 2: Statewide issues impacting RVA (affordable housing, expansion of arts district, red light cameras, 599 funding, K-12 funding, machinery and tools tax)
    • Priority 3: Constituent Requested Issues (e.g. regulation of motorized skateboard)
    • Priority 4: All other issues



4pm - Informal Meeting

6pm - Formal Meeting

CIty Hall, 900 E Broad Street, 2nd Floor, Council Chambers

Antenna Ch. 57, Cable Ch. 24

City Council Agenda

City Council Live Stream

City Council Meeting Attendance Tips




  • ORD 2017-030: All-way stop signs at Avondale Ave and Teakwood Ave
  • ORD 2017-148: Master Plan amendment to incorporate Richmond Riverfront Plan amendments
  • ORD 2017-150: Establishment of Transit-Oriented Nodal District
  • ORD 2017-151: Amend zoning map to rezone properties to be in line with future Pulse Corridor Plan
  • ORD 2017-157: Establish a microenterprise loan program
  • ORD 2017-158: Amend budget to transfer $708,451 from Finance Operations program to new Finance-Commissioner of Revenue
  • ORD 2017-159: Amend budget to transfer $476,494 from Justice Services-Operations program to the new Adult Day Reporting program
  • ORD 2017-160: Amend budget to transfer $118,663 from Police-Area 1 and Area 2 program to Police-Administration program 
  •  ORD 2017-161: Amend budget to transfer $1,059,530 from Police-Area 1 and Area 2 program to Police-Administration program
  • ORD 2017-162: Authorize CAO to accept $4500 from VA Commission for the Arts for grants to Cadence Theatre Company and CultureWorks, Inc
  • ORD 2017-163: Amend budget to create a special fund called for the Bike Share System and transfer $450,000 for operating costs
  • ORD 2017-164: Acquire property at intersection of Forest Hill Ave and Powhite Parkway to construct multimodal transportation and drainage improvements
  • ORD 2017-165: Authorize CAO to accept $4,450,000 from VDOT 
  • ORD 2017-166: Authorize CAO to execute a utilities agreement with Fulton Hill Properties LLC to establish new conditions for the release of an existing City sewer utility easement at 4907 Goddin Court
  • ORD 2017-167: Authorize CAO to decrease parking spots leased to federal government at 500 E Marshall St from 42 to 21. 
  • ORD 2017-168: Acquire property at 2911 Hathaway Road to construct multimodal transportation and drainage improvements
  • ORD 2017-170: Amend code requirements for reporting and sale of city-owned real estate
  • ORD 2017-171: Authorize CAO to accept a $1,062,190 donation of software from AvePoint Public Sector
  • RES 2017-R033: Independent third party review of City's bulk and brush disposal program
  • RES 2017-R034: Oppose proposed Budget of U.S. Government for Fiscal Year 2018
  • RES 2017-R035: Conduct inventory of all city-owned real estate
  • RES 2017-R047: Amend the composition of the Commission of Architectural Review by eliminating requirement one member shall be appointed from a list of nominations submitted by Better Housing Coalition and add requirement for one member to be a resident of a historic district
  • RES 2017-R058: Nominate George P. Braxton, Benjamin P. Campbell, and Eldridge Forest Coles as City of Richmond's three directors and the election of the Board of Directors of GRTC
  • RES 2017-R059: Approve $350 expense for 7th district donation to MOTIV8S for 16th Annual Celebration of Children Community Festival
  • RES 2017-R060: Approve Richmond Behavioral Health Authority's performance contract
  • RES 2017-R061: Support a project to provide funding to design and construct Gillies Creek Greenway from Williamsburg Ave to Jennie Scher Road for $840K from federal Transportation Alternatives Program
  • RES 2017-R062: Support installing sidewalks and curb ramps on Catalina Drive and Cranford Ave for $480L from federal Transportation Alternatives program
  • RES 2017-R063: Support installation of traffic signals along Route 60 around Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts for $640K from federal Transportation Alternatives Program
  • RES 2017-R064: Support iInstallation of sidewalks along Whitehead Road from Elmbridge Road to Daytona Drive for $320K from federal Transportation Alternatives PRogram
  • RES 2017-R065: Support installation of sidewalks from Swanson Road from Hull Street to Whitehead Road for $384K from federal Transportation Alternatives Program
  • RES 2017-R066: Support extension of Virginia Capital Trail to T. Tyler Potterfield Memorial Bridge for $821,600 from federal Transportation Alternatives Program
  • RES 2017-R067: Request Commonwealth Transportation Board fund expanding the scope of the 1st and 2nd street buffered bike lanes project to include improvements on 3rd street in addition to or instead of 1st and 2nd Street
  • RES 2017-R068: Support application for $9,900,000 from VDOT Revenue Sharing Program for certain transportation projects
  • RES 2017-R069: Request mayor's 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 proposed budgets include funds to cover the 2nd and 3rd phases of police and firefighter compensation adjustments