RPS Board meets tomorrow in Council Chambers starting at 6PM. The agenda is detailed below but here are some highlights to check out:
- Back log of minutes from seven meetings will be approved
- A report on the #SuperSearch will be received. I included a link to the online Superintendent vacancy posting. On this website, there is a link to a document with the Superintendent characteristics being sought. Normally, I rename files when I download government documents; however, I noticed the document title is "2008-Richmond-search-characteristics-sought" so I left it alone.
- There will be an update on school accreditation which was released in mid-September. Links to various VDOE accreditation documents are linked below.
- The process to fill the 7th District Vacancy will be discussed and voted on
- There is an RPS Board Q4 2017 goals document on the docket for approval. Included in the Q4 goals are to recruit/retain/support quality faculty/staff/admin, faculty/staff technology literacy, implement facilities and academic plan, determine use of Altria building, align people/resources for equity, ensure safe school climates.
- If you are like me, you probably have wondered "is this normal?" more than once about city government at all levels. Tomorrow night, there is a revised RPS Board governance norms document up for approval. I don't see notes on what was specifically changed; however, here are some highlights that provide a good refresher on how the board should work:
- Board members will not respond to community complaints at board meetings. Follow up letters will be sent to speakers.
- Complaints outside of board meetings will be handled according to policy. Community complaint policy is 4-3.6 (found on page 19) and staff communication policy is 7-1.3 & 7.4.2 (found on pages 11 and 53)
- Board members should communicate but be aware of FOIA rules
Date: September 18th
Location: City Hall, 900 E. Broad Street, Council Chambers 2nd Floor
- Roll Call
- Pledge of Allegiance/Moment of Silence
- Adopt Agenda
- Approve minutes from meetings on June 26, July 12, July 17, July 31, August 7, August 21, and September 5.
- Receive a presentation from Richmond Fire Department
- Public Information
- Receive a report on Superintendent from Hazard, Attea, Young and Associates.
- Discuss process for filling 7th District Vacancy
- Discuss formation of Ad Hoc Committees for Funding and Culture and Climate
- Receive an update on school accreditation
- Receive recommendation of Donald T. Cowles for Richmond Public Schools Education Foundation Board of Trustees
- Receive for action a Resolution regarding a petition for a special election to fill the 7th District Vacancy
- Affirm the goals, vision, and mission of Richmond City School Board
- Receive for Action a Resolution to approve Funding and Culture and Climate Ad Hoc Committees
- Receive for action the Human Resources Actions
- Receive for action the School Board travel and district activity requests
- Introduction of new business