Okay, I listened to the RPS Board Work Session from February 13th and they voted on a timeline for the 3rd District Vacancy. All applicants must be eligible to run in the 3rd district and will need to submit a resume and letter of intent, be interviewed by the board, and undergo public hearing. The approved timeline is as follows:
- February 14th- notice of vacancy to the public with the timeline
- February 27th- deadline for applicants to submit resumes and letters
- March 3rd- notice in newspaper for public hearing
- March 13th- special meeting for interviews (PUBLIC HEARING!)
- March 20th- scheduled board meeting for the vote
The board member will be chosen by the board; however, there is a public comment period. The appointment also only lasts until the next general election which is November 2017. This means in November we will vote on Governor, House of Delegates, AND for our school board member. Good luck to all applicants, may the odds ever be in your favor.
Official Public Notice of Vacancy:
TAKE NOTICE that the School Board of the City of Richmond is seeking candidates for the interim appointment of the Third District School Board seat to fill the vacancy due the resignation of School Board Member Jeffrey Bourne on February 8, 2017. The selected candidate will serve until the certification of the results of a special election in November 2017.
Eligible persons must (1) be registered voters in the City of Richmond; and (2) reside in the Third District. Applicants must submit (either in electronic or hard copy form) a letter of interest and a resume to include the home address and telephone number of the candidate to the School Board Clerk, Ms. Angela Lewis, no later than 4:30 p.m. on February 27, 2017. Candidate submissions received after that time will not be considered. The School Board Clerk can be reached email@example.com or 301 North Ninth Street, 17th Floor, Richmond, Virginia 23219 or (804) 780-7716. Questions regarding the selection process should be directed to the School Board Clerk.
- February 27, 2017: Deadline for candidate submissions no later than 4:30 p.m.
- March 13, 2017: Special meeting for interviews of candidates by School Board and public hearing to receive citizen comment on candidates for interim appointment
- March 20, 2017: School Board vote on interim appointment during regular meeting
- March 21, 2017: Interim appointment takes oath of office (Tentative Date)