Y'all... maybe I am reading too much into this agenda but I feel like we are about to get some exciting news about a superintendent tomorrow at the RPS Board Meeting. Here is the basis of my theory:
- The meeting is going to be in City Council Chambers instead of up on the 17th floor. Maybe a better photo op spot? Definitely better audio.
- They are opening the meeting with the standard pledge/agenda/minutes routine but then going into closed session IMMEDIATELY after. I can't think of another time I have seen closed session at the beginning of the night.... usually they adjourn to closed session.
- The third item on the agenda is a recognition for... check this out... the SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH COMMITTEE!!! So, we know they have done SOMETHING to be recognized for on Monday.
Well anyway... that is just my speculation. We will see what happens tomorrow. Even if I am wrong about my superintendent theory, tomorrow's board meeting is critical because the board needs to take action on a facilities plan. A few weeks ago, Stoney criticized RPS Board for missing the October 16th deadline for an updated facilities plan. On November 6, Interim Superintendent Kranz presented a high-level overview of the facilities plan and concluded with the next step to be for him to present options to the board at the November 20th meeting. So that means tomorrow is the long awaited day when the newest school board will finally receive facilities options.
Not only is budget season imminent, but the school modernization referendum will be working its way through the General Assembly. The sooner a solid facilities plan is passed, the sooner we can work on tacking the issues and challenges to making the plan become a reality. For more information, Richmond Forward has a detailed piece on the urgency to pass a facilities plan in 2017.
Date: September 18th
Location: City Hall, 900 E. Broad Street, Council Chambers 2nd Floor
- Roll Call
- Pledge of Allegiance/Moment of Silence
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Approve the Minutes of the November 6, 2017 Meeting
- Closed Session
- Superintendent Search Committee
- Public Information
- Discuss the legislative package
- Administration Business
- Receive a draft of a full facilities plan
- Discuss proposed Boys & Girls Club facility at Woodville Elementary School
- Board Action Items
- Receive for action change orders for Overby-Sheppard Elementary School renovations
- Receive for action the Human Resources Actions
- New business